Veggie Urge Burger
A tasty vegetarian alternative to the traditional burger.
6 cups water
2/3 cup pearl barley
2/3 cup brown lentils
2/3 cup long grain brown rice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated carrot
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
4 Large Chino Valley fresh eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon soy sauce
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Combine water, barley, lentils and rice in heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, sunflower seeds, garlic and sauté until vegetables are tender. Add to grains and cool.
- Season with basil, thyme and oregano. Add eggs, soy sauce and flour and blend.
- Form patties about 1/2 cup each.
- Heat film of oil in skillet over medium heat. Add patties in batches and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
Makes about 14 patties.
Recipe provided courtesy of Chino Valley Ranchers.