Apple and Lemon Custard Tart
A pastry tart topped with luscious lemon custard and tender apple slices glistening with an apple jelly glaze.
Pastry for one-crust (9-inch) pie
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 large eggs
4 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons apple jelly
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 11-inch round; line a 10-inch tart pan with pastry. Lightly prick bottom with fork. Bake pastry 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Reduce oven heat to 375°F (190°C).
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat sugar and butter until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 3 tablespoons lemon juice and the flour. Pour batter into prepared tart shell. Arrange apple slices over egg mixture. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, prepare glaze for tart: In small saucepan, combine remaining tablespoon lemon juice and the apple jelly. Cook over low heat, stirring, until jelly melts. Spoon glaze over warm tart. Cool completely before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Protein: 4g; Fat: 17g; Carbohydrate: 41g; Fiber: 1g; Sodium: 229mg; Cholesterol: 99mg; Calories: 327.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.