Apple Chess Pie
This sweet sugary southern pie is studded throughout with chopped apple and pecans.
1 (9-inch) pie shell
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 Braeburn or Golden Delicious apple, cored and chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Lightly prick bottom of pie shell with fork; bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Reduce oven heat to 325°F (160°C).
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat butter, both sugars, and the salt until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beat well after each addition. Stir in chopped apples, sour cream, pecans, flour, and vanilla.
- Spread mixture in pie shell and bake 50 to 60 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely. If desired, garnish with whipped cream, and serve.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.