Apple Praline Pie
America's favorite pie topped with a Southern favorite—praline.
6 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons apple pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Pastry for (9-inch) double-crust pie
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For Filling: In a bowl, combine apples, sugar, flour, apple pie spice and salt; toss lightly. Spoon mixture into pastry lined pan. Dot with margarine. Top with second crust; seal and flute. Cut vents in several places.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until the apples are tender and lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool. Prepare Praline Topping.
- For Praline Topping: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a small saucepan melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and cream. Heat to boiling; remove from the stovetop and add pecans. Spread on top of baked pie.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and return to oven. Bake in oven for 5 minutes or until the topping is bubbling. Remove pie from oven and cool pie at least 1 hour before serving.
Makes 8 servings.