Apple Raisin Turnovers
Fruit-filled pastry turnovers are much easier to pack and carry than pie, yet just as satisfying.
2 Jonagold or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Pastry for double-crust (9-inch) pie
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C.
- For Filling: In large bowl, combine apples, raisins, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and lemon zest; mix well and set aside.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to make six 5-inch rounds. Divide apple mixture evenly among rounds, mounding it in the centers. Moisten edges of pastry rounds lightly with water; fold over rounds to cover filling and meet opposite edges. Crimp edges of turnovers with fork to seal.
- Place turnovers on cookie sheet; cut slits in top of each turnover to vent steam.
- For Egg Wash: In small bowl, combine egg and milk; brush on tops of turnovers.
- Bake turnovers 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Cool before serving.
Makes 6 turnovers.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Protein: 5g; Fat: 19g; Carbohydrate: 45g; Fiber: 3g; Sodium: 381mg; Cholesterol: 35mg; Calories: 432.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.