Applesauce Custard and Cake Pie
Can't decide whether you're in the mood for cake or pie? This dessert let's you have both! Serve with vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream.
Pastry for single crust 9-inch pie
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
1 cup applesauce
2/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup molasses
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sour milk*
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 to 3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- Prepare pie crust. Chill until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In medium bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and apple pie spice; mix well. Stir in remaining filling ingredients; blend well. Set aside.
- In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and butter; beat until well blended. Beat in sour milk, 1 egg and vanilla. (Mixture will look curdled.) Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; mix well. Spoon into crust-lined pan. Carefully pour filling mixture over batter.
- Bake for 50 to 65 minutes or until center springs back when touched lightly and top is deep golden brown.( Filling will sink to bottom during
- In small bowl, combine powdered sugar and coffee until of desired drizzling consistency; blend well. Drizzle over warm pie. Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings.
*To make sour milk, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice to 1/2 cup milk; let stand 5 minutes.