Banana Cream Pie
Try this family-favorite banana cream pie. The cool, creamy homemade banana filling, topped with sweetened whipped cream, pairs perfectly with the pastry crust.
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (preferably Crisco)
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
3 tablespoons ice-cold water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 2/3 cups water
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
3 large egg yolks, beaten
Pinch of kosher or sea salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 medium bananas
Crystallized lemon powder or fresh lemon juice, as needed
Sweetened whipped cream for garnish
Banana slices for garnish (optional)
- For Pie Crust: Mix flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut shortening into the flour with a pastry cutter, until mixture resembles tiny split peas. Add the ice water and mix in using a fork. Gather the dough into a ball.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into about a 12-inch circle and place into an ungreased 9-inch regular or deep-dish pie plate.
- Place dough in an ungreased 9-inch regular or deep-dish pie plate and gently press dough into pie plate. Trim excess pastry, if needed and flute the edge. Prick crust thoroughly on the bottom and sides with the tines of a fork.
- Bake crust at 425°F (220°C) on center rack of oven for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack before filling.
- For Filling: Gradually dissolve cornstarch and water in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in the sweetened condensed milk, beaten egg yolks and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture becomes bubbly and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla, mixing well. Set filling aside to cool to room temperature.
- When the filling has cooled, peel and slice the bananas and lightly sprinkle with the crystallized lemon or lemon juice, gently tossing to coat well (this prevents browning, if using juice, drain well).
- Arrange 1/2 the banana slices on the bottom of the baked pie crust.
- Vigorously stir the cooled filling then spread about half of it over the first layer of bananas. Arrange the remaining banana slices on top and then spread with the remaining filling over the second layer of bananas.
- Refrigerate until set, approximately 2 to 4 hours.
- Serve pie garnished with sweetened whipped cream and sliced bananas, or as desired. (It is best, for the sake of storage, to simply garnish individual servings with a dollop of whipped cream if the whole pie is not going to be served.)
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 506.9 calories; 41% calories from fat; 23.5g total fat; 114.4mg cholesterol; 157.7mg sodium; 439.6mg potassium; 65.6g carbohydrates; 1.7g fiber; 42.1g sugar; 63.9g net carbs; 9.0g protein.