Chocolate Cranberry Nut Pie
The flavor combination of chocolate, cranberries and nuts makes this rice pudding pie a perfect choice for the holidays.
6 tablespoons butter or margarine - divided use
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2/3 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
3 cups cooked rice
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate syrup
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Melt 5 tablespoons butter; stir in crumbs and 1/3 cup sugar. Press onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Spread cranberries over crust. Sprinkle with brown sugar and nuts.
- Combine rice, milk, salt, remaining 1 tablespoon butter and sugar in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat 20 minutes, or until thick and creamy, stirring frequently.
- Blend chocolate syrup, eggs and vanilla; add to rice mixture.
- Pour over prepared crust. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°C (175°C) for 45 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or chilled, topped with whipped cream.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.