Classic Pumpkin Pie
This classic pumpkin pie has graced my family's Thanksgiving table for years.
1 (9-inch deep-dish) unbaked pie crust*
2 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Sweetened whipped cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Prepare unbaked pie crust and set aside. (See Tip below.)
- Beat eggs slightly in a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and beat just until well mixed. Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C) for 15 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°C), and bake for 45 minutes longer, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack at room temperature. Store pie in refrigerator.
- Serve pie with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.
Tip: To help prevent the pie crust from becoming soggy, brush a thin layer of egg white onto unbaked pie crust. I find that the small bit of egg white left in the cracked egg shell halves (from the 2 large eggs) to be a sufficient amount. Use a pastry brush to gently spread the egg white over the bottom and sides.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 289.1 calories; 38% calories from fat; 12.5g total fat; 66.6mg cholesterol; 440.6mg sodium; 296.9mg potassium; 38.9g carbohydrates; 2.7g fiber; 18.9g sugar; 36.2g net carbs; 6.8g protein.