Coffee Liqueur Apple Pie
This spirited treat is not your grandma's apple pie.
6 tart green apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup coffee liqueur
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) double-crust pie
- In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup apple juice and 1/2 cup sugar. Add the apples and cook gently, covered, until almost tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup coffee liqueur to the cooking liquid. If the liquid measures less than 1 1/4 cups, add more apple juice. Over medium heat add 1 tablespoon butter.
- Blend 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Stir into the liquid mixture, cooking until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and add the apples.
- Turn into unbaked pie shell. Cover with top pastry, seal, and flute the edges. Prick the top crust or cut small decorative patterns. Brush the top lightly with 1 tablespoon melted butter and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake on the lower rack, below the oven center, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.