Deep Dish Blackberry Pie
This juicy, deep-dish blackberry pie is bursting with the flavor of summer.
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups vegetable shortening
1/2 cup ice water
1 large egg
1 tablespoon white vinegar
8 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (do not thaw frozen berries)
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Sugar for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine water, egg and vinegar; stir into flour mixture with a fork just until moistened. Form into a roll. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll 2/3 of the dough into an 18 x 14-inch rectangle. Carefully place onto the bottom and up the sides of a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Combine blackberries, sugar and flour; turn into crust.
- Use the remaining dough to make lattice strips; place over the filling.
- Sprinkle pastry with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 15 minutes; reduce heat to (350°F (175°C) and bake for about 1 hour longer or until bubbly. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator.
Makes 12 servings.