Double Coconut Cream Pie
Cream of coconut and sweetened flaked coconut add a double dose of coconut flavor to this delicious meringue-topped coconut cream pie.
2/3 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 (8-ounce) can cream of coconut* (such as Coco Lopez)
3 large eggs - divided use
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
1 (9-inch) baked pie shell
3 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in milk and cream of coconut. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks; add a small amount of the hot mixture, mix well, then return to the saucepan. Cook until bubbly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in flaked coconut and 2 teaspoons vanilla; Pour into baked pie shell.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat 3 egg whites, adding 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar, until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Spread evenly over the pie, sealing completely to the edges. Sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoons flaked coconut. Bake for 15 minutes. Chill before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
*Cream of coconut is a sweetened, coconut-flavored dairy product, not to be confused with 'coconut cream', which is extra-rich coconut milk.