Handmade Cherry Almond Pie
A rustic, hand-formed sweet cherry pie with almond-infused pastry, served drizzled with a red wine glaze. Simply delicious!
1/2 cup sliced almonds - divided use
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) double crust pie
1 large egg, beaten
4 cups pitted Northwest fresh sweet cherries
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons red wine
Red Wine Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup red wine
- Finely chop 1/4 cup almonds.
- Roll dough* into circle approximately 16-inches in diameter and sprinkle chopped almonds over top; roll gently to press nuts in dough. Gently transfer to lightly greased baking sheet lined with parchment paper, if desired. Brush with beaten egg.
- Mix cherries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and wine. Spoon cherry mixture onto dough leaving a 4 inch border. Lift edges of dough up and over fruit, leaving a 5 inch circle of cherries showing in the center. Fold in edges of pastry to form a circle.
- Brush pastry with remaining egg mixture; sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) 30 minutes or until pastry browns and filling bubbles. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. If desired, serve with Red Wine Glaze to drizzle over each serving.
- Red Wine Glaze: Combine powdered sugar and red wine, mix well. Makes 3/4 cup.
Makes 8 servings.
*When using packaged, pre-rolled pastry, stack one crust on top of the other and roll to 16 inches.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 475 Cal., 5.6 g pro. 19.2 g fat. (36% Cal from fat), 70.1 g carb. 23 mg chol., 4.1 g fiber, 315 mg. sodium
Recipe provided courtesy Washington State Fruit Commission.