Key Lime Chiffon Pie
A fluffy, mousse-like lime chiffon version of Key Lime Pie.
1 (0.25-ounce) packet unflavored gelatin
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup freshly-squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
1/8 teaspoon green food coloring (optional)
1 cup whipping cream
1 (9-inch) baked pie shell
- In a medium saucepan thoroughly mix unflavored gelatin, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt over very low heat. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together 4 egg yolks, lime juice, and water; stir into the gelatin mixture. Add egg yolk mixture to saucepan, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat; stir in lime peel and green food coloring (optional). Refrigerate, stirring occasionally until the mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon.
- Meanwhile beat 4 egg whites in a large mixing bowl until soft peaks form; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar. Beat to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat cream to stiff peaks. Fold the gelatin mixture into the egg whites; fold whipped cream into the gelatin-egg white mixture. Pile into a 9-inch baked pie shell. Refrigerate until firm.
Makes 8 servings.