Key Lime Pie
This version of key lime pie will make you feel like you are in the sunshine of the Florida Keys! If you are unable to locate key limes, regular lime juice will do the trick.
Recipe by George Geary, CCP, a cooking teacher, pastry chef, cookbook author, food writer and award winning culinary tour guide.
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs, crushed
3 tablespoons canola oil
5 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup fresh key lime juice
2 tablespoons lime zest
2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a bowl, combine graham crackers and canola oil, press into 9-inch pie pan, bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- In a double boiler, combine egg yolks, canola oil, sugar and lime juice. Cook for 10 minutes over a simmering water bath on medium heat, whisking occasionally until thickened. Remove from heat and add lime zest. Chill this mixture until it becomes thicker, about 20 minutes.
- Whip cream to soft peaks. Fold about 3/4 of the cream into firmed lime mixture. Pour this into the pre-baked pie crust.
- Chill until firm, about 30 minutes. Top with remainder cream.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 430; Total Fat 35g; Saturated Fat 16g; Cholesterol 195mg; Sodium 90mg; Carbohydrates 26g; Fiber 1g; Sugars 17g; Protein 4g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.