Lime juice and zest give this velvety pie its mellow tartness; the coconut crust underscores the filling with chewy sweetness.
2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
4 cups miniature marshmallows
1 fresh lime
4 large eggs, separated
1/8 teaspoon green food coloring
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- For Coconut Crust: Combine flaked coconut and melted butter. Press into a 9-inch pie plate and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned.
- For Filling: Melt miniature marshmallows with lime juice in a medium saucepan over low heat; stir until smooth.
- Beat egg yolks in a medium saucepan; add small amount of the marshmallow mixture to egg yolks; stir until mixed. Add egg mixture to marshmallow mixture; add green food coloring and grated lime peel. Cook for 5 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl until soft peaks form; gradually add sugar. Fold into lime mixture and pour into prepared coconut crust. Chill until firm.
Makes 8 servings.