Mince Apple Pie
This is two great pies in one, chock-full of holiday flavor and flair.
Pastry (9-inch) for double crust pie*
1 cup prepared mincemeat
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups Gala or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line bottom of 9-inch pie pan with half the pastry.
- Combine mincemeat and orange zest; spread in bottom of pastry-lined pie pan.
- In large bowl, combine sugar, walnuts and flour; add apples and toss. Spread apple mixture over mincemeat layer. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Cover filling with remaining pastry; seal and flute edges. Brush top crust lightly with water and sprinkle with sugar. Cut several vents in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until apples are tender. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.
Per Serving: Protein: 4g; Fat: 16g; Carbohydrate: 51g; Fiber: 2g; Sodium: 352mg; Cholesterol: 0; Calories: 408.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.