For a tantalizing twist, add a teaspoon of finely shredded orange peel to the pastry mixture before adding the water.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt.
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon finely shredded Florida Orange Peel
1 tablespoon Florida Orange Juice
2/3 cup Florida Orange Juice
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 Florida Oranges, peeled, sectioned, and seeded
1 pint strawberries, hulled and halved
Thin strips of Florida Orange Peel (optional)
Thin strips of lime peel (optional)
- For Pastry: In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water at a time over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat until all dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten the ball of dough with hands. Roll dough from center to the edges forming a circle about 13-inch in diameter. Ease pastry into an 11-inch tart pan with removable bottom, being careful not to stretch the pastry. Trim even with edge of pan. Prick bottom and sides of pastry generously with the tines of a fork. Bake in a preheated 450°F (230°C) oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Cool pastry on a wire rack.
- For Filling: In a medium mixing bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, and orange juice. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. Stir in orange peel. Spread filling in baked tart shell.
- For Orange Glaze: In a small saucepan combine orange juice, sugar and cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Cool completely.
- Arrange orange sections then strawberry halves atop cheese filling. Spoon orange glaze over all. Sprinkle with thin strips of orange peel and lime peel, if desired. Cover and chill up to 6 hours. Remove sides of pan from tart and place tart on serving plate.
Makes 10 servings.