Peachy Creamy Cheese Pie
Using canned peaches, you don't have to wait for peach season to enjoy this terrific pie.
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) double-crust pie*
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 to 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (28-ounce) can peach slices, drained, reserving 3 tablespoons liquid
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Prepare pie crust. Chill half the dough; line a 9-inch pie plate with remaining dough; chill.
- In medium bowl combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin pie
spice, corn syrup, vanilla and peach slices; mix well. Set aside.
- In small saucepan, combine 2 tablespoons of the reserved peach liquid, 1/3 cup sugar, lemon juice and eggs; mix well. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- In small bowl, beat sour cream and cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in hot egg mixture until well blended. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Spoon filling into prepared pie shell. Dot with butter. Spoon topping mixture evenly over filling.
- Roll out pastry for top crust. Using floured 3-inch round cutter, cut out 8 circles. Brush tops of circles with remaining 1 tablespoon reserved peach liquid. Arrange pie crust circles over topping.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°C); bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cover edge of pie crust with strips of foil after 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. Cool. Store in refrigerator.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.