Pear and Almond Croustade
Recipe courtesy of California Pear Advisory Board.
Pastry for a single (9-inch) pie crust
4 ripe, but firm, Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and sliced
1/4 cup apricot preserves
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Lay pastry flat on a large parchment-lined baking sheet and set aside.
- Place pears in a medium bowl and add preserves, brown sugar, packed, cornstarch, extract and cinnamon; toss well to coat pears with mixture.
- Mound pears in the center of the pastry and gather up the edges up to form a 2-inch rim of pastry around the outside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, butter and brown sugar, packed until crumbly; sprinkle over the opening of the pie and top with almonds.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool for at least 30 minutes to firm up the filling before cutting.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 560; Total Fat: 25g; Cholesterol: 10mg; Total Carbs: 81g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 5g; Sodium: 340mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Pear Advisory Board.