Pear Crumble Pie
Instead of a top crust, this pie has a cinnamon-ginger streusel that gives it an old-fashioned look and taste. Try this treat in place of an apple pie at your next holiday meal.
6 pears, cored, peeled and sliced
3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, undiluted
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust*
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- For Filling: Combine pears, orange juice concentrate and lemon peel in a mixing bowl; toss lightly. Arrange pear mixture in pie crust.
- For Streusel: In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly, then sprinkle over pear mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until pears are tender. Cover the top loosely with aluminum foil after 30 minutes if too brown.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.