Pumpkin Meringue Pie
Traditional pumpkin pie gets an elegant meringue topping in this easy-to-assemble show-stopper.
1 1/2 cups canned or fresh pumpkin purée
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3 large egg yolks
1 cup evaporated milk
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust*
3 large egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- For Filling: Combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Add egg yolks, stirring until well blended.
- Gradually blend in evaporated milk. Pour into unbaked pie crust.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until center is set. Remove pie from oven and increase oven temperature to 425°F (220°C).
- For Meringue: Using an electric mixer set on high, beat egg whites with salt until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Spoon some of the meringue around edge of warm pie. Spread meringue so that it touches inner edge of crust all the way around pie by using the back of a spoon. Heap remaining meringue in center and push out to meet meringue border.
- Using a table knife or icing spatula, form light small peaks in meringue.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.