Red, White and Blueberry Cheesecake Pie
This yummy pie bursts with summertime blueberry goodness!
8 sheets (about 13 x 14-inches each) thawed frozen phyllo dough
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups fresh blueberries - divided use
1/2 cup strawberry jelly
1 cup whipped heavy cream or nondairy whipped topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
- For crust: Grease a 9-inch pie plate; set aside. On a flat surface place 1 sheet phyllo (keep remaining phyllo covered to prevent drying out); brush with butter. Top with another phyllo sheet; brush with butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo and butter to make 8 layers. Using kitchen scissors, cut layers into a 12 to 13-inch circle. Carefully press circle into prepared pie plate; gently fan edges. Bake until edges are just golden, 6 to 8 minutes; cool slightly on a wire rack. Reduce oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- For filling: In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat until well combined. Fold in 1 cup of the blueberries. Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake until set, 40 to 50 minutes.
- To prevent over-browning of crust, gently cover with foil the last 25 minutes of baking; cool completely on rack.
- To serve: In a small bowl beat jelly until smooth; spread over cheese filling. Arrange remaining blueberries on top in star shape. Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph are courtesy of the US Highbush Blueberry Council. Used with permission.