Rice Tart (Torta di Riso)
An Italian dessert tart with vanilla-lemon rice pudding topped with an orange liqueur-spiked apricot fruit glaze.
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 vanilla bean, split
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) single-crust pie*
1 large egg, separated
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons apricot fruit spread - divided use
2 tablespoons orange flavored liqueur
orange-peel rose for garnish
- Cook rice, milk, lemon zest and vanilla bean in medium saucepan over medium heat 20 to 25 minutes, until thick and creamy; stirring frequently. Remove from heat; discard vanilla bean and cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Press pie crust into bottom and sides of 9 to 9-1/2-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Prick bottom and sides of crust with fork. Bake 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned; cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°C).
- Beat egg white with electric mixer in small bowl until stiff peaks form; set aside. Beat butter and sugar in medium bowl until light and fluffy; beat in egg yolks and rice mixture. Fold in beaten egg white.
- Spread 2 tablespoons fruit spread on pie crust. Fill with rice mixture. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is set. Let cool 15 minutes.
- Heat remaining 1/3 cup fruit spread and liqueur in small saucepan over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until thick and syrupy. Pour through sieve into small bowl; spread on rice tart. Garnish tart with orange-peel rose. Remove bottom and serve.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 322; % Daily Value*; Total Fat 16g; Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 219mg; Total Carbohydrate 41g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Protein 5g.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.