Rose's Rhubarb Pie
Rhubarb's tart flavor is balanced by the honeyed sweetness of the streusel topping in this rustic dessert. It's a great addition to a picnic table or a finish to a simple roast chicken dinner—and Rose, wherever you are—keep baking those pies.
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1 cup all-purpose flour - divided use
2 cups sliced rhubarb, 1/2-inch pieces
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust*
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- To make the streusel, combine first addition of flour, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal; set aside.
- Toss prepared apples with lemon juice. Add cheddar cheese, second addition of flour and nutmeg; toss until well mixed.
- Arrange apple mixture in pie crust; sprinkle streusel on top.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.