Saskatoon Berry Pie
If you are from the Canadian Prairies you will be familiar with Saskatoons - sweet, purple berries. One bite of this berry pie and you'll know why it's a Canadian favorite.
Canola Oil Pie Crust:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cold 1% milk
1/2 cup canola oil
3 to 4 cups saskatoons
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup tapioca or all-purpose flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons canola margarine
- For Crust: Sift together flour, sugar and salt. In a small bowl, beat milk into canola oil with fork until frothy. Form a well in flour mixture. Add canola oil mixture and combine gently with a fork until crumbly. Pat in pie plate as you would for graham wafer crust.
- For Filling: Combine saskatoons, lemon juice, sugar and tapioca in a large bowl.
- Arrange Saskatoon mixture in unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle with optional topping, if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425°F (220°C), then reduce heat to 350°F (175°C) and bake for 35 minutes.
- For Optional Topping: Combine flour, sugar and canola margarine. Crumble together until mixture is the size of bread crumbs.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 163; Fat 9g; Saturated Fat 1g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 102mg; Carbohydrates 19g; Fiber 0.5g; Protein 2g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.