Strawberry Bavarian Pie
You know that spring has arrived with the first slice of strawberry pie. This version presents the strawberries in a billowy cloud of strawberry cream piled high in a buttery coconut crust.
2 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
4 cups fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled and halved if necessary
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (3.5-ounce) package berry-flavored gelatin
1 cup water
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- For Coconut Crust: In a small bowl, combine coconut and butter. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool.
- For Filling: Reserve 1/2 cup berries for garnish. In a large bowl, combine remaining strawberries and sugar; mix well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, soften unflavored gelatin with 1/2 cup water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, until the gelatin dissolves. Add the gelatin and lemon juice to the strawberries.
- In another bowl, whip cream until stiff then fold into the strawberry mixture; refrigerate until firm. Spoon mixture into the pie crust and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
- Garnish with the reserved strawberries before serving.
Makes 8 servings.