Sweet Potato Pie 1
Serve this Southern holiday favorite with sweetened whipped cream.
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust*
1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, about 2 cups cooked
2 large eggs
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
- Place unpeeled, whole sweet potatoes in saucepan, cover with water and boil for 40 to 50 minutes or until tender.
- Run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove the skin.
- Break apart sweet potato in a mixing bowl. Add butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Add sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla, mixing well.
- Pour filling into an unbaked pie shell.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a soufflé, and will sink down some as it cools.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.