Sweet Potato Pie with Chantilly Cream
A Southern classic, sweet potato pie, served with velvety smooth chantilly cream.
5 medium sweet potatoes
1 cup pure maple syrup
3 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust*
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add whole, unpeeled sweet potatoes and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and cool potatoes, then peel and mash them. (You should have about 2 cups of mashed sweet potato.)
- Combine sweet potato with maple syrup, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves; stir until smooth. Pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until filling is set and crust is golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Before serving, combine cream with sugar and vanilla. Whisk until thick but not stiff -- chantilly cream should be soft and barely able to hold its shape. Serve wedges of pie with chantilly cream on top.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.