Yam Pecan Pie
Throw in a twist to your typical desserts this holiday season with a different style of pecan pie! For a healthy approach, try a graham cracker crust.
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust*
1 (15-ounce) can yams (sweet potatoes) drained and mashed or 1 cup fresh yams, cooked and mashed
2 large eggs - divided use
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 large egg whites
2/3 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Lay pie crust in a 9-inch pie dish.
- In a mixing bowl, blend together the yams, 1 egg, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spread evenly on bottom of pie crust.
- In a mixing, bowl, beat together the remaining egg, egg whites, corn syrup, sugar, and vanilla until mixture is frothy. Stir in pecans. Carefully spoon over yam layer.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until filling is set around edges or until a knife inserted halfway between the center and edge comes out clean. Cool and serve.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): CAL 338 (42% from fat); FAT 17g; PROTEIN 3g; CARB 47g; CHOL 32mg; SODIUM 249mg.
Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.