BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza
To reduce the prep time to about 10 minutes, use your favorite store-bought pizza dough—you’ll need about 3/4 pound. To vary the pizza, try it with different cheeses, or try adding thinly sliced red onion or chopped fresh cilantro.
2 tablespoons water, warm (115°F to 120°F)
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup water, cool (65°F to 70°F)
1 teaspoon salt
Olive oil for the bowl
Toppings for Assembling Pizza:
6 ounces cooked pulled pork
1/4 cup barbecue sauce, purchased or homemade
1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda, smoked mozzarella, mozzarella, or Monterey Jack cheese
3 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- For Pizza Dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the warm water and yeast and set aside 15 minutes (the mixture might not get foamy). Add the flour, cool water, and salt and mix with a dough hook attachment on medium-low speed for 4 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes then mix on medium speed until the dough is smooth, elastic and slightly sticky, about 3 minutes.
- Lightly oil a medium bowl. Transfer the dough to the bowl, turning it to coat with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside to rise at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and chill the dough at least overnight, or up to 2 days.
- Transfer the dough to a countertop and return it to room temperature, 1 to 2 hour.
- To Assemble Pizza: Preheat an oven, along with a pizza stone if you have one, to 500°F (260°C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll or stretch the dough out to a 12 to 14-inch round. Transfer the dough to a pizza pan or a flour-or-cornmeal dusted pizza paddle.
- Top with the barbecue sauce, cheese, pork, and green onions. Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake until golden and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Makes 3 (2-wedge) servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/3 of recipe): Calories: 400; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 40mg; Total Carbs: 54g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 22g; Sodium: 1090mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.