Funny Face Pizza
Recipe courtesy of the Flour Advisory Bureau.
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 cup prepared tomato pizza sauce
2 ounces shredded mozzarella
2 ounces shredded cheddar
Optional Toppings for Decoration: Cherry tomato slices, halved salami slices, pepper strips, strips of ham, canned sweet corn
- Combine flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl then make a well in the center and add the oil and enough water to make into soft and pliable, but not sticky dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for approximately 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled, clean bowl, cover with a dish towel and leave in a warm place for approximately 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 to 3 minutes. Divide the dough into 4 equal amounts and then roll each into a circle measuring approximately 6 inches in diameter and place on a lightly greased baking tray. Let it sit for a further 30 minutes or until the dough has risen.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Spread tomato sauce over the dough; then mix together the cheeses and sprinkle on top.
- Use the remaining ingredients to top the pizzas, for example using the tomato slices as eyes, halved salami slices or pepper strips as mouths, ham strips as hair, sweet corn kernels as teeth or eyeballs etc until you have a family of fun pizza faces.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the topping is bubbling.
- Use a spatula to lift the crust from the baking tray and check to see that the dough in the center is properly cooked. Serve immediately with salad or vegetables.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 409; Total Fat: 15g; Total Carbs: 51g; Fiber: 3g; Sodium: 300mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Flour Advisory Bureau.