Almond-Stuffed Pork Chops
Stuffed pork chops with a basic bread stuffing enhanced with almond flavor and crunch.
4 boneless pork loin chops, 1 1/4-inch thick
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon almond flavor
2 slices firm white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tablespoon browning and seasoning sauce (optional)
1 tablespoon water (optional)
- For stuffing, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook almonds, celery and onion in hot butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in the 2 tablespoons water, bouillon granules, parsley flakes and almond flavor. Add bread cubes; toss to moisten bread cubes.
- Cut opening in each chop from the outer side; widen opening into pocket, being careful not to cut through the other side of the chop. Fill pockets in chops with equal amounts of stuffing. Secure with toothpicks.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place stuffed chops on roasting rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, until internal temperature is 160°F / 70°C (check temperature in thickest part of meat), 35 to 45 minutes.
- Combine browning and seasoning sauce and 1 tablespoon water in small bowl, if desired; brush over chops.
- Bake for 2 minutes more. Remove toothpicks from chops.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 433 calories Protein 39 grams Fat 26 grams Sodium 284 milligrams Cholesterol 117 milligrams Saturated Fat 9 grams Carbohydrates 10 grams Fiber 1 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.