Barbados Chops with Black Bean Relish
These Island-inspired chops are seasoned with tropical flavors, grilled and served with a mildly spicy black bean relish. Stir some chopped coconut or cashews into hot rice for a suitable accompaniment.
4 pork chops, 1 1/2-inch thick
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 teaspoons finely chopped green olives
1/2 to 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced*
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 tablespoons lime juice
Black Bean Relish:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- For Chops: In large self-sealing bag place vegetable oil, garlic, olives, jalapeno, thyme, allspice and lime juice; mix thoroughly and add pork chops. Seal bag and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours.
- For Black Bean Relish: Heat olive oil in small sauté pan; sauté onion just until tender, about 4 minutes.
- In medium bowl stir together onion with black beans and remaining ingredients. Cover and let rest at room temperature for one hour to let flavors blend. Refrigerate for longer storage.
- Prepare medium-hot fire in kettle-style grill.
- Remove chops from marinade, discarding marinade.
- Grill chops for 12 to 15 minutes, turning once.
- Serve with Black Bean Relish.
Makes 4 servings.
*Wear rubber gloves when handling hot chiles.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories 387 calories Protein 36 grams Fat 16 grams Sodium 458 milligrams Cholesterol 87 milligrams
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.