Canadian Bacon and Eggplant Roll-Ups
This tasty dish is a great recipe for training young chefs in the family. Serve with crusty garlic bread and a green salad.
10 slices Canadian bacon, about 1/8-inch thick (about 10 ounces)
1 large eggplant, about 1 1/2 pounds
3 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
Dash ground pepper and nutmeg
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 to 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Wash eggplant; pare if desired; cut off stem and blossom end. Cut lengthwise into 10 thin slices. Brush slices lightly with oil and saute a few at a time in a 10-inch frypan until tender. Set aside.
- Measure 1 tablespoon of oil into frypan; stir in flour, add milk; cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Season with pepper and nutmeg.
- Combine ricotta cheese and parsley.
- Lay one slice of bacon on each eggplant slice. Lap on small eggplant slice over a larger slice. Spoon a rounded tablespoon of cheese over eggplant and bacon. Roll around cheese and place seam-side-down in an 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Pour sauce over eggplant rollups. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Makes 5 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/5 of recipe): Calories 345 calories Protein 22 grams Fat 20 grams Sodium 948 milligrams Cholesterol 55 milligrams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.