Citrus Chili Pork Roast
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.
1 fresh orange (juice and skin)
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon crushed chili flakes
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 jalapeño pepper, deveined
2 pounds pork leg or roast, deboned
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Peel orange, discard white skin and chop peel into small pieces. Squeeze orange and reserve juice.
- In a food processor, blend together orange peel, reserved juice, garlic, chili flakes, canola oil, pepper, salt, sugar and jalapeño pepper until you have a smooth paste.
- To prepare the pork, make incisions into the leg or roast. Sprinkle with Salt and ground black pepper. Cover with orange paste and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven at 325°F (160°C).
- Place the pork on a rack in a roasting pan. Add 1 cup water. Roast for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 160°F (71.1°C).
- Wait 10 minutes before slicing.
Makes 8 servings.
Variations: Serve it cold. Make sandwiches with leftovers.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 270; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 90mg; Total Carbs: 4g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 35g; Sodium: 350mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.