Garlic-Peppered Pork Tenderloin
with Fresh Peach Relish
Encrusted with a coat of garlic and cracked black peppercorns, pork tenderloins are roasted in a hot oven, sealing in their natural juices with moist, flavorful results. The coolness of the fresh peach relish, with a colorful combination of flavors and textures, complements the tender, spicy pork perfectly.
2 (1 pound) pork tenderloins
Extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh garlic, finely minced (preferably to a paste)
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
3 tablespoons black peppercorns, coarsely ground
Fresh Peach Relish
2 large ripe peaches, peeled and coarsely chopped (nectarines or mango would substitute nicely)*
1 medium tart green apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
2 tablespoons white or red onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon green bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon gingerroot, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 small clove garlic, finely minced
1/8 teaspoon crushed dried red peppers (optional)
Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- For Pork Tenderloin: Rinse tenderloins and pat dry with paper toweling; place in a shallow, nonreactive dish. Rub enough olive oil to coat entire surface of tenderloins. Spread 1 tablespoon garlic over entire surface of each tenderloin; sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon salt, then coat each with 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper. Place in a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish or non-reactive baking pan, cover tightly and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove tenderloins from refrigerator about 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Carefully place tenderloins, so as not to disturb the peppered coating, on a rack which has been placed inside a roasting pan.
- Roast, uncovered, for 27 to 30 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in the center of tenderloin registers 160°F (70°C)**. Do not overcook, as pork tenderloin has a tendency to become dry very quickly. Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing the tenderloins on the diagonal.
- For Fresh Peach Relish: Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive bowl, mixing gently, but well. Cover and chill for at least hour to allow flavors to marry. Serve with the roasted tenderloin.
Makes 4 servings.
*Fresh nectarines or mango substitute nicely; or substitute fresh peaches with canned peaches when not in season.
**New US Department of Agriculture Guidelines: Pork can be safely cooked to medium rare at a final internal cooked temperature 145°F as measure by a food thermometer, followed by a 3-minute rest time.
Nutritional Facts Per Serving (1/4 of recipe, including the peach relish): 374.5 calories; 20% calories from fat; 8.2g total fat; 147.4mg cholesterol; 587.7mg sodium; 1151.7mg potassium; 26.1g carbohydrates; 4.2g fiber; 17.5g sugar; 21.9g net carbs; 49.5g protein.