Grilled Yucatacan Pork Steaks
This classic grilled pork dish from the Yucatan—Poc Chuc—is simplicity personified, but it's loaded with flavor. Accompany with guacamole, warm corn tortillas and a corn and black bean salad in vinaigrette.
4 boneless pork blade steaks, about 1/2-inch thick
1 large red onion, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Prepare medium-hot fire in grill.
- Season pork steaks with salt and cayenne.
- Place pork and onion slices directly over fire; grill pork for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once.
- Grill onion, turning as necessary to brown evenly, for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Place grilled pork and onion on serving platter; squeeze some fresh lime juice over and serve with remaining lime wedges.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories 160 calories Protein 16 grams Fat 8 grams Sodium 640 milligrams Cholesterol 50 milligrams Saturated Fat 3 grams Carbohydrates 5 grams Fiber 0 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.