Honey-Glazed Barbecued Spareribs
You can choose to bake or grill these finger-licking good pork spareribs. Recipe courtesy of the National Honey Board.
4 pounds lean pork spareribs
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
1/2 teaspoon red chiles, crushed
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- Completely cover spareribs with water in a large pot or deep skillet. Bring to boil, uncovered, over medium heat. Simmer 4 minutes. Drain liquid, reserving it for stock for later use, if desired.
- Season both sides of spareribs with salt and pepper.
- Place spareribs on rack in roasting pan. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 450°F (230°C) 15 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°C).
- Brush spareribs with honey mixture.
- Bake 1 hour longer or until fully cooked, brushing with honey mixture every 15 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
To Grill: Boil spareribs as described above, over medium heat. Simmer 4 minutes and drain liquid. Season both sides of spareribs with salt and pepper. Place spareribs on barbecue grill over hot coals. Cook approximately 30 minutes per side. Brush meat side generously with honey mixture twice during last 15 minutes of cooking time.
Note: Honey should not be fed to infants under one year of age. Honey is a safe and wholesome food for children and adults.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 941; Total Fat: 66g; Cholesterol: 218mg; Total Carbs: 37g; Protein: 48g; Sodium: 217mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Honey Board.