Onion-and-Cherry-Glazed Pork Chops
Dried cherries add a touch of sweet to this tangy recipe. Serve with mashed sweet potatoes and a peppered coleslaw.
4 pork chops, 3/4-inch thick
1/2 teaspoon garlic-pepper blend seasoning
3 teaspoons olive oil - divided use
2 small onions, sliced and separated into rings
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup sweetened dried cherries
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Season chops with garlic-pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté chops for 6 to 8 minutes or until nicely browned, turning once. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- Cook onions in remaining oil in same skillet, covered, over medium-low heat for 12 to 14 minutes or until onions are very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, uncovered, for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, stir together cornstarch, water, cherries and vinegar; add to skillet. Cook and stir until bubbly and slightly thickened. Add pork chops to skillet; heat through.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories 230 calories Protein 21 grams Fat 9 grams Sodium 170 milligrams Cholesterol 60 milligrams Saturated Fat 2 grams Carbohydrates 15 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.