Make guests think that you slaved over these breaded chops. This 'No Recipe' recipe contest honorable mention recipe from Gerry Holcomb uses a package of cornbread stuffing mix as a shortcut to great taste. Serve with steamed broccoli and roasted potato wedges.
8 boneless loin pork chops, 3/4-inch thick
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons water
1 (6-ounce) package cornbread stuffing mix
1/4 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/4 cup butter-flavor shortening
- Beat together eggs and water in a small bowl until foamy. Pour into a shallow bowl.
- Place stuffing mix in a self-sealing plastic bag; finely crush with a rolling pin. Stir in Asiago or Parmesan cheese and poppy seeds. Transfer to a second shallow bowl.
- Trim fat from chops. Coat chops with crushed mixture. Dip into egg mixture and coat with crushed mixture again.
- Heat half of the shortening in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it sizzles. Reduce heat to medium. Add 4 of the chops; cook for 6 minutes. Turn chops and cook about 6 minutes more or until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 160°F (70°C), reducing heat as necessary to prevent overbrowning.
- Transfer chops to a serving platter; cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining shortening and chops.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 295 calories; Protein: 26 grams; Fat: 15 grams; Sodium: 342 milligrams; Cholesterol: 66 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 4 grams; Carbohydrates: 17 grams; Fiber: 3 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.