Pork and Potato Strata with Peppers
Updated baked chops without the cream of soup. Serve with broccoli spears and fruit salad.
4 boneless pork chops, 3/4-inch thick
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 large potatoes, thinly sliced
1 (7-ounce) jar roasted sweet red pepper, drained
2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Cook onion for 8 to 10 minutes or until soft and transparent.
- Layer two-thirds of the onion in a shallow rectangular baking dish. Set aside remaining onion.
- Layer the potatoes and peppers over onions in dish. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Cover and bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the same skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chops on each side.
- Place browned chops on top of potato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheese; top with basil and pepper. Cover and bake about 30 minutes more or until potatoes are tender.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.