Pork Braised with Mushrooms
Tender braised pork served with a savory mushroom and wine sauce.
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds boneless pork roast
4 strips bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped leek
1 cup red wine
1/4 cup brandy
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
24 mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon brown mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat butter and olive oil. Add pork roast and cook over medium heat until browned on all sides, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove pork from pan and set aside.
- Add bacon to the pan and cook until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Pour off half the drippings and add onion and leeks; sauté for three minutes.
- Add reserved pork, red wine and brandy. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add garlic, sage, thyme and rosemary. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, mustard, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until pork is tender, about 30 minutes more. Serve with mushrooms and sauce spooned over sliced pork.
Makes 6 servings.