Pork Chops and Sweet Potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes and pork chops, smothered in a piquant sauce of citrus, ginger and apple.
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
4 (6-ounce) pork chops
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup apple jelly
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Place sweet potatoes in a steamer basket and place in pan; cover tightly. Steam for 15 to 20 minutes, or until just tender. Remove from heat and cool. When cool enough to handle, cut into 3/8-inch slices; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Place flour, salt and pepper in a large bag. Place pork chops in bag, shaking well until evenly coated. Shake off any excess flour.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add shortening and butter to pan and melt; when foam subsides add pork chops to pan. Brown on both sides; remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together apple jelly, orange juice, grated lemon peel, dry mustard, paprika and ginger; mix until thoroughly combined. Arrange sweet potatoes and browned pork chops in a shallow baking dish, pour sauce over meat. Bake for 30 minutes, or until meat reaches an internal temperature of 160°F (70°C). Baste occasionlally with sauce. Serve warm.
Makes 4 servings.