Pork Chops with Caramelized Onions & Dried Cherries
Caramelized onions and sweet-tart cherries make an incredible flavor combination that pairs perfectly with tender, moist pork chops.
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup sweetened dried cherries
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 (6-ounce, 3/4-inch thick) pork loin chops
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt - divided use
1/2 teaspoon garlic-pepper blend
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 medium yellow onions, sliced and separated into rings
1 tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed
- In small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, water, cherries and vinegar; set aside.
- Season chops with 1/2 teaspoon salt and garlic-pepper.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chops for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from skillet; and keep warm in a 225°F (110°C) oven.
- Melt butter in same skillet, add onion and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook over medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until onions are very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in brown sugar and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in reserved cherry mixture. Cook and stir until bubbly and slightly thickened.
- Return pork chops and any juice/drippings that has accumulated to skillet; heat through. Serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 364.0 calories; 33% calories from fat; 13.4g total fat; 108.8mg cholesterol; 829.5mg sodium; 925.7mg potassium; 20.9g carbohydrates; 1.5g fiber; 5.9g sugar; 19.4g net carbs; 39.1g protein.