Saucy Pork Strips with Potato Polenta
Instant potatoes are an easy stand-in for a laboriously-stirred polenta. Serve in wedges topped with the saucy pork ragout. Round out this hearty one-dish meal with sliced cucumbers tossed with vinaigrette and French bread.
2 cups water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 (4-serving size) packet roasted garlic mashed potato mix
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 pound boneless pork loin, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 1/4 cups chunky salsa
Shredded cheddar cheese
Cilantro sprigs, chopped
- In large saucepan combine water, milk and 1/2 cup cornmeal. Bring to boiling. Stir in potato and seasoning packets from mix; stir to mix well. Remove from heat; stir in cheese.
- Spray 9-inch pie plate with non-stick spray; sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Pour potato mixture onto pie plate; spread out evenly. Spinkle with additional cornmeal.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook pork strips in hot oil over medium-high heat until brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoe sauce and salsa; heat through.
- To serve, cut polenta into wedges; top with meat mixture. Garnish with a little shredded cheese and chopped fresh cilantro.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.