Savory Pork and Vegetable Pie
This humble pot pie becomes a beauty when its savory aroma tempts a hungry family to the table. A meal in itself, it calls only for a fresh salad on the side—try a green salad tossed with sliced seedless red grapes and crumbled blue cheese.
1 1/2-pounds pork shoulder cubes, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
1 cup frozen peas, unthawed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup half-and-half (light cream)
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) double-crust pie*
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C)
- Melt butter in large skillet. Brown pork cubes over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken broth and seasonings; simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and onions; simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in peas.
- In small bowl, combine flour and half-and-half; beat until smooth. Gradually stir into skillet; cook and stir until thickened.
- Follow pie crust package directions for 2-crust pie, filling with pork mixture.
- Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 640 calories Protein 38 grams Fat 38 grams Sodium 930 milligrams Cholesterol 130 milligrams Saturated Fat 17 grams Carbohydrates 44 grams.
*Use store bought ready-to-use, or homemade pastry using your favorite recipe, or ours: Basic Pie Crust 101.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.