Slow Cooker Ham with Currant-Cherry Sauce
Hosting dinner? Make an easy and delicious do-ahead ham topped with a tangy fruit sauce and chives.
1 1/2 cups cherry preserves
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
6 to 8-pound fully cooked bone-in ham
1/2 cup dried currants
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Mix preserves, vinegar, mustard and ginger in 2-cup glass measuring cup. Place ham in 6-quart slow cooker, trimming ham if necessary to fit. Brush ham with about 1/4 cup of the preserves mixture. Refrigerate remaining preserves mixture while ham cooks.
- Cover and cook ham on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours.
- About 20 minutes before ham is done, microwave remaining preserves mixture uncovered on High 4 minutes. Stir in currants and lemon peel; microwave uncovered on High about 3 minutes or until mixture just begins to boil. Stir in chives. Cool about 10 minutes.
- Remove ham from cooker. Slice ham; place on serving platter. Serve sauce with ham.
Makes 12 servings.
- Not sure what size ham to buy? Keep in mind that 1 pound of bone-in ham is enough for 2 servings.
- A wide variety of dried fruits are now available at the supermarket. You could use dried blueberries, cherries or cranberries in place of the currants.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 480 (Calories from Fat 240); Total Fat 27g (Saturated Fat 10g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 75mg; Sodium 1360mg; Total Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 24g); Protein 26g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 2%; Iron 8% Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable.
Recipe and photograph are provided courtesy of Betty Crocker Kitchens and General Mills.