Velveted Pork Tacos
This mouthwatering taco recipe was created by Carolina Buia and Isabel Gonzalez, co-authors of "Latin Chic: Entertaining with Style and Sass". For a tapas version of this recipe, make the tacos smaller and seal with bamboo toothpicks.
2 pounds boneless pork chops
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 (12-count) package flour tortillas, fajita or smaller size tortillas
1 bunch fresh cilantro
1 red onion
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (8-ounce) can corn niblets
1 (12-ounce) jar tomato salsa
1 (8-ounce) carton sour cream
1 (8-ounce) package shredded cheese
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
- Cut pork chops into small, bite-sized pieces.
- In a bowl, mix together corn starch, oil, cumin and 1 teaspoon black pepper until smooth, like a runny paste. Add pork to mixture and set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- While pork marinates, wash cilantro and pluck whole leaves from stems, about 3/4 cup worth. Place whole cilantro leaves in a bowl. Thinly slice 1 red onion and add to cilantro, creating a salad. (You can adjust cilantro/red onion ratio to taste.) Add a dash of black pepper, one tablespoon of vinegar and one tablespoon of olive oil, toss to coat and set aside.
- After pork has marinated, cook it in batches. Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a non-stick sauté pan and place over medium-high heat. When oil comes to temperature, cook half the pork pieces (without removing the marinade). Cook until the outside of the pork pieces are brown and a crust has formed and the inside is cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. If needed, add more oil to the pan, and then cook the second half of the marinated pork. Once finished, sprinkle cooked pork with salt to taste.
- To assemble tacos, warm tortillas according to directions on the package. Take one tortilla and smear a teaspoon of sour cream down the middle. Top with 7 to 8 chunks of pork. Atop pork, place a spoonful of salsa, then top with cilantro red onion salad, a teaspoon of corn kernels and pinch of cheese. Fold over to enjoy!
Makes 6 (2-taco) servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe; 2 tacos): Calories: 950 calories; Protein: 44 grams; Fat: 57 grams; Sodium: 1110 milligrams; Cholesterol: 155 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 23 grams; Carbohydrates: 53 grams; Fiber: 3 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.