Apple-Infused Coleslaw in a Jar
With a countryside presentation and a tangy, crunchy flair, this fresh apple coleslaw takes center stage. Purple and green cabbage meld with bright herbs, Dijon mustard and honey to create flavors that hint of the summer ahead.
8 (pint-size) mason jars
2 cups Apple NESTLÉ® JUICY JUICE® All Natural 100% Juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup canola oil
5 cups each thinly shredded purple and green cabbage - divided use
2 cups shredded carrot and/or thinly sliced red bell pepper - divided use
8 tablespoons sliced green onions, chives or shredded fresh basil - divided use
- For Vinaigrette: Place apple juice in medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for about 25 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup (reducing the juice will add more sweetness and deepen the apple flavor). Cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together reduced juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard and honey. Gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until blended. Divide vinaigrette between each of eight mason jars.
- For Coleslaw: Layer about 1/3 cup purple cabbage, 1/3 cup green cabbage, 2 tablespoons carrot and 1 tablespoon sliced green onions in each mason jar. Add another layer (same quantities excluding green onions) of purple cabbage, green cabbage and carrots. You should have about an inch gap between coleslaw and lid so that it is easy to shake; seal closed.
- When ready to serve, simply shake to coat.
- Jars of unshaken coleslaw can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: In a hurry? Skip reducing the apple juice and just use 1/4 cup apple juice. Increase honey to 2 tablespoons total.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 140 Calories from Fat: 60; Total Fat: 7 g; Saturated Fat: 0.5 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 280 mg; Carbohydrates: 19 g; Dietary Fiber: 3 g; Sugars: 13 g; Protein: 2 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.